Download the report
Report roadmapRequirements: Definitions, deployment typologies and requirements for small-cell backhaul solutions.
Solutions: Assessment of different technologies (fiber, wireless), spectrum bands (sub-6 GHz, microwave, millimeter wave, licensed and license-exempt bands), architectures (LOS/NLOS, PMP/PTP, topologies, form factors, and deployment models)
Vendors: Vendor strategies and overview of innovative solutions.
Financial analysis: Financial tradeoffs of alternatives, including fiber versus wireless, PTP versus PMP, LOS versus NLOS, and at the cost impact of integrated backhaul, relays, and wholesale business models
In their own words: Vendors' own statements on what makes their solutions stand out in the market
Fiber, sub-6 GH licensed and license-exempt, PMP and PTP microwave, 60 GHz, E-band
Airspan, Alcatel-Lucent, Aviat, Blinq, Bluwan, BridgeWave, Cambridge Broadband Networks, Ceragon, DesignArt, DragonWave, E-Band, Ericsson, Huawei, Intracom, NEC, Nokia-Siemens, Powerwave, Ruckus Wireless, Siklu, Skyfiber, Sub10, Taqua, Ubiquiti
LOS versus NLOS; PTP versus PMP; Star, spoke-and-hub, ring, hybrid topologies; relay hops
Capacity, latency, distance, spectrum bands, form factor, installation, power, LOS/NLOS, PTP/PMP, LTE-Advanced features
Questions addressed in the report
- What are the requirements for small-cell backhaul?
- How does the small-cell backhaul market differ from the macro-backhaul market?
- How much of the TCO for small cells is due to backhaul?
- What will drive the choice for fiber versus wireless?
- What is the impact of trenching costs and fiber leases on the TCO?
- What is the target price point for a wireless backhaul link that has to be met for a solid small-cell business case?
- What spectrum bands will be most heavily used?
- Will operators use license-exempt spectrum?
- Where will they use LOS or NLOS?
- Where does PMP reduce costs over PTP? And where it PTP cost effective?
- On what products are vendors working? How much will they cost, and what will their key features be?
- How do vendors’ planned products compare on capacity, size, weight, and power consumption?
- Which vendors are the most innovative?
- Will integrated backhaul modules within the small-cell enclosure be successful? Will they work for LOS links?
- What savings can integrated backhaul modules deliver?
- Is it cost effective to use relay-hops to ensure LOS connectivity?
- Does a wholesale model for sharing backhaul deliver cost savings to partnering operators?